Started in 2010, the Mac M. Ruske Scholarship Fund was created to specifically provide the students of the East Grand School District in Grand County, Colorado the opportunity to attend the Grand Lake Yacht Club Sailing School during July each summer. Qualifying applicants may be awarded full tuition to attend sailing school during a week in July where they have the opportunity to learn the equipment, skills, and rules of sailing and yacht racing on the waters of Grand Lake, Colorado.
Each year more than 60 children from ages 8 to 18 attend one or more of the four weeks of sailing school provided by the Grand Lake Yacht Club Sailing School and its team of U.S. Sailing Level I Certified Instructors. Student sail on a fleet of new boats including the 7 Laser Performance Bugs, 7 RS Feva's (click for info), and a number of traditional Lasers.
Donations to the Mac M. Ruske Scholarship Fund are accepted year round and can be pledged online by clicking here. To sponsor a full week scholarship for one student please donate the standard $350. You donation allows children to experience sailing who otherwise may never get this chance.
To apply for a scholarship you must meet the following minimum requirements.
- You must be a student in the East Grand School District in either the school year prior to or the school year after the summer for which you apply.
- You must not be a related to of a member of the Grand Lake Yacht Club.
- You must be age 8 to 12 during the summer for which you apply.
- The GLYC Sailing School program requires that a child is physically capable of sailing on Grand Lake. Children with a disability should consider enrollment through the NSCD in the GLYC Disabled Sailing Program.
- A scholarship space must be available. The number of spaces available each year is determined by the current Director of the GLYC Sailing School and are awarded on a first come, first serve basis.
- Your scholarship application must be accepted by the Scholarship Committee. This acceptance is at the committees' complete discretion. The Mac M. Ruske Scholarship Fund is committed to providing opportunities to children with enthusiasm for sailing and boating and makes special considerations for family and life situations that make it difficult for children to attend summer programs.
To apply please print the application below and follow the instructions to compelte the applciation. Applications must be submitted in writing to the Chairperson of the Scholarship Committee at the address contained within the application forms. Applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis. If you cannot print an application you can request a hard copy be mailed to you by sending a request to the GLYC Sailing Foundation Secretary